Strategic Management & Leadership
SM82.04: Strategic Management and Leadership [3 Credits]
Good strategy-making and good strategy-execution are the key ingredients of company success and the most reliable signs of good management. This course is designed to help managers gain an understanding of the theory and practice in the field of strategic management and leadership. The goal is to give you a thorough understanding of the analytical techniques and tools necessary to identify and formulate strategies successfully, and what skills you need as a leader to implement them. Specifically, the course will focus on two main areas: (i) Strategy Management, including: industry and competitive analysis; strategy formulation; and strategy implementation; (ii) leadership, including: types and styles of leadership; delegation, communication; team building; and conflict resolution.
This course will enable participants to:
- Develop their capacity to think strategically about a company, its present business position, its long-term direction, its resources and competitive capabilities, the caliber of its strategy, and its opportunities for gaining sustainable competitive advantage
- Understand the importance of strategic planning and its role within strategic management, and explain the key steps in the strategic planning process
- Explain the process of corporate and business strategy development to achieve competitive advantage
- Understand and explain the concept of strategy implementation - tools and methods
- Identify and analyze the risk and develop options for risk treatment
- Identified their unique strengths as a leader and learn how to leverage them to lead the strategy planning, formulation, and implementation
- Understand how to delegate, coach, and grow new leaders within their organization
Strategic Management, Competitive Advantages, Leadership, Types and Styles of Leadership
I. Strategic Management
- The concept and process of strategic planning
- Strategic analysis
- Strategy formulation and development
- Strategy implementation
- Strategic Control
- Problem solving
- Conflict resolution
- Team building
Hill, L. W. and Jones, G. R.:
Theory of strategic management with cases, Mason, OH, South-Western Cengage Learning (9th Edition), 2010.
Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D., and Hoskisson, R. E.:
The management of strategy: Competitiveness and Globalization (Concepts and cases), Mason, OH, South-Western Cengage Learning (8th Edition), 2009.
Lecture notes and handouts provided by the instructor.
Wheelen, T. L. and Hunger J. D.:
Strategic management and business policy: Achieving sustainability, Boston, MA, Pearson (12th Edition), 2010
Peng, M. W.:
Global strategic management, Mason, OH, South-Western Cengage Learning (2nd Edition), 2009.
Journal and Magazines:
Strategic Management Journal
Harvard Business Review.
Grading System: The final grade will be computed from the following constituent parts: mid-term exam (30%), final exam (40%),assignments (30%). Open/closed-book examination is used for both mid-term and final exam.
Instructor(s): Dr. Yuosre Badir and Visiting Faculty of the School of Management